Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, also called ‘VSS’, is a file-system-based source control tool from Microsoft. This tool was originally developed by One Tree Software Company and later taken over by Microsoft.
The following content is copied from Microsoft web site:
Microsoft Visual SourceSafe is a file-level version control system that permits many types of organizations to work on several project versions at the same time. This capability is particularly beneficial in a software development environment, where it is used in maintaining parallel code versions. However, the product can also be used to maintain files for any other type of team.
At a minimum, Visual SourceSafe does the following:
- Helps protect your team from accidental file loss.
- Allows back-tracking to earlier versions of a file.
- Supports branching, sharing, merging, and management of file releases.
- Tracks versions of entire projects.
- Tracks modular code (one file that is reused, or shared, by multiple projects).
|The SQL Server-based Source Control Software Designed to be a SourceSafe Replacement||The Fastest SourceSafe Remote Access Tool Recommeded by Microsoft|