How to Scan Documents from Chrome, Firefox, Safari & other Browsers
Cross-browser Scanner SDK
Unlike web cameras, document scanners are not directly accessible by a web page. To interact with scanners from within a browser, an ActiveX component or a 3rd-party process (such as Windows Service, or a Linux Daemon) is required to bridge the communication between a browser and the scanning hardware.
When choosing the scanner SDK, you will first need to decide the protocol for communicating with scanners. TWAIN is recommended when programming with scanners.
Dynamic Web TWAIN is a browser-based TWAIN scanning SDK that works with Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari on Windows, macOS, and Linux. It enables you to capture images from a scanner or load files from local or server disk. For the images in the TWAIN control, users can perform editing, such as rotation, cropping, etc., and finally, upload to a remote database or save to local. Below is a simple illustration:
- Small: No C/C++ runtime library is used. Even with built-in JPEG, PNG, PDF, TIFF codec, the size of the CAB file is very small;
- Fast: The core engine of the image processing part of Dynamic Web TWAIN is optimized with assembly language;
- Easy to deploy: It allows you to copy the related resource files to your desired web server (IIS, IBM Notes, Websphere, Apache, and Tomcat on Windows, Linux, or other platforms).
Related Add-ons for your Overall Image Capture Needs
Dynamic Web TWAIN also provides powerful add-ons to meet your overall image capture needs. You can easily integrate these essential add-ons as your document management needs grow or future-proof your application.
- Mobile Web Capture: A web document capture SDK for iOS and Android browsers. It helps build document scanning web applications for mobile users to load, edit, save, upload files, and capture images from the camera right in mobile browsers.
- Barcode Reader: A powerful add-on for barcode detection in web applications. With the barcode library, you can quickly get 1D and 2D barcode info from scanned documents, IDs, or invoices.
Need a Scanning SDK for .NET Desktop Application?
If you want to embed image capture, processing, and upload features into your WinForms or WPF applications, the Dynamic .NET TWAIN scanning component can satisfy your needs. Contact us today to learn more about this leading SDK.